6.23.2007

Moving: the pets

Moving the animals was perhaps the most challenging part of moving- at least keeping them happy. It started with getting the proper drugs to put them to sleep. Well, it probably starts with losing Kina in an empty house 2xs and her hiding in the fireplace for hours....When we (my mom and I) went to close on the house at the lawyer's office, we had to take them with us. So the plan was for my mom to walk Daru, the fluffy black furred dog, outside in the 90+ degree/100% humidity while I signed papers in the cool, ACed lawyer's office. But the lawyer took pity on the dog (and/or my mom) and let them sit in the waiting area of the office. Kina got to stay in there instead of the car since she was in her carrier. The lawyer said it was common for dogs to come to closings. Who knew!? So, then we got on the road for our 13 hour trip. Which went surprisingly well since they slept most of the way, except Kina didn't use her litter box for the whole trip (just the details you wanted!). We arrived at my parents' house early Sat. AM, and Daru was fine since she had been there before, but Kina was a little unsure, although she loved having multiple floors to explore. Once they had gotten settled, we packed them back in the car again to come to Rochester. I couldn't get the drugs into Kina (not cooperative like dogs- dogs will eat anything coated in peanut butter), so we just left. Kina cried. When I stopped at the end of my parents' street to make sure the truck started okay for my dad and to yell at one of the neighbor's kids for burying his brother's head in the sand pile, Kina jumped out of the car window. Into the road. She ran under a parked car, then my dad stopped the truck to help me and we chased her out and he caught her. We travelled with the windows up from there. She hadn't eaten much in 2-3 days and she started panting now with her tongue rolled and her lips pulled back. I called Doug to tell him Kina was going to die, perhaps a little over dramatic, but it didn't look very pretty. She obviously survived and is now completely embarrassed by her ridiculous behavior. Both of them are settled here I think, though they still are working on their escape plans.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'd love to hear about the adventure from kina's point of view! (or daru)

glad you made it safely... look forward to visiting sometime =)

Rebekah said...

Mobius says you should have called her daddy and told him Kina was going to die and he would have told you that's the way all cats pant. Apparently. Mobius is not looking forward to moving someday, either.