3.21.2009

Lamberton Conservatory

Doug and I visited Lamberton Conservatory in Highland Park a few weeks ago so I could prepare for an upcoming field trip. I really liked the desert room. I learned that cactus spines are actually modified leaves and serve not only as protection from being eaten but also as sun protection (for some cacti that have a million spines). Here you see a Golden Barrel Cactus in the upper left, a Bunny Ear Cactus in the lower left and I don't remember the other 2 kinds!
Side note: if you google Lamberton Conservatory, Neil Cowley's website comes up as the 5th entry I think (we went to college with Neil).
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Since you liked the desert room maybe some of your Arizona heritage is coming through. I'm surprised that I actually knew those facts about catcus spines.