1.24.2008

Charles on Fire

 


I realized when I looked at this picture that it appears that Charles has flames shooting out from his sides-oops! A good photographer would have composed this photo better.

Charles came to see us last weekend since we had not seen him in over a year. He had originally suggested that we go skiing, but I was not sure there was much good snow and it was bitter cold, so we opted to go shopping instead. I asked Charles where he wanted to go- like what was high on his list of things to get since shopping is better now in the US (for Canadians) due to the exchange rate and lower sales tax. His first request was to go to the dollar store. Yes, the dollar store as in everything is $1. I was puzzled as to why he wanted to go there; like don't they have dollar stores in Canada? Charles informs me that they are not the same there and he really wanted to go there to get spray starch for his shirts. Again, I suggested that they might sell this in Canada as well, but he informed me that it was much cheaper in the US. Okay, we'll go to the dollar store! Then I asked where else he wanted to go so we could pick the right shopping area in Rochester area. Charles told me that next he needed to go to Wal-Mart. Again, I inquired about what he needed at Wal-Mart, thinking it must be something unusual that Wal-Marts in Canada don't sell. It was conditioner, as in for hair. Apparently, this also is much more expensive in Canada? Other exploits included a little girl's dress for a cousin's birthday party, gift bags, scented candles, a wall clock, hot pepper relish and a new winter coat. We (Doug was working) spent 8 hours shopping including a trip to Moe's (WELCOME TO MOES) and the Christmas Tree Shop, my 2 favorite places in Henrietta. I made some progress on next Christmas.

So if you are looking for spray starch, conditioner, or other shopping assistance, I can hook you up! Thanks for the shopping adventure Charles!
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, Charles! The true businessman...

Thanks for the story, Rachel. =) I know understand the row of starch spray bottles in your previous post.


So if we have our next Houghton reunion in Rochester, will you be able to join us, Charles?

Anonymous said...

"now"... not "know"...

"I now understand"... and I now need to go get some rest or caffeine or something! It's been a long week.

Unknown said...

I like the look on Daru's face, very attentive, but wanting flames of her own.

Anonymous said...

Its all about timing and location but the Rochester location is much closer for me resulting in less travel time.

Rach thanks for the shopping memories. You should ask Danielle how I shop when you can "negotiate" I invoke my ancestors, feign heart attacks, roll my eyes, shout, yell, whisper all in the name of saving a buck!

ajh said...

Indonesia is still benefitting from Chuck's two visits. Market analysts are awaiting his next visit...

Anonymous said...

Charles, there's a book series you might like that came out recently. It's called Shopaholic. -D