7.02.2008

The Iron Chef

As part of our weekend adventures, we went to a local arts festival in some suburb that I won't even attempt to spell. We heard the pork people mention free t-shirts and all of a sudden we were sitting in the blistering sun watching this chef who is a contestant on the Iron Chef make pork tenderloin with almond-plantain BBQ sauce or something to that effect. I did a lot of smiling and nodding since I am not convinced that it would take me only 8 minutes to make the marinade and I don't own half of the equipment he mentioned. He seemed to appreciate our group, perhaps because we actually sat through the whole thing and even asked a question on mike. (I am sure you will see some better shots of this experience from Andrew) He was our "local professional photographer." Allen, Danielle and Grace had parked themselves in the shade so they didn't get a stunning t-shirt which says "Bring it Tong!" =(

We got to sample the pork and I must admit it was pretty good even if Heather looks a little apprehensive here. He served it with mint and a chili pepper thread which he of course claimed that normal people could make in their own home. Again, I was not convinced, but maybe more skilled cooks could. Andrew got a group shot of all of us with the chef.

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even though Heather looks apprehensive in this photo, I think that looks like a beautiful bit of protein on her plate (wink wink). By the way, the place where the art festival was head was in Manayunk (a neighborhood in the northwest part of Philadelphia). Crazy spelling and crazy pronunciation. You can find out a bit more about the history of this cool section of the city that has both a urban and small town vibe HERE

Anonymous said...

Alright, Andrew... let's see some of your pictures from the weekend!

Thanks for posting, Rachel =) It was so much fun to hang out with everyone. Missed you, Charles!

Charles said...

More pics, more pics, more pics please!

Anonymous said...

Kris, sorry for the apparent misunderstanding. I wasn't criticizing Rachel's photo. I was just making a joke about how the crazy chief kept calling the pork a beautiful slice of protein. I remember Rachel and I kept laughing about that.

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew; I didn't take your comment as a critical one... I'm just eager to see some of your photos! =)

Mine are posted on Facebook. Time for everyone to join the 21st century so you can also see them! Allen did it, you can too.

Dawn said...

that's cool that you saw an iron chef contestant. we really like some of those chef competitions...and nate loves free t-shirts. haha.

jenn venus said...

If you don't mind me asking, what was the Iron Chef contestant's name? I only ask because my cousin Sam Mason is a chef in New York and he will be on the show airing May 31 at 11:00 am against another chef named Morimoto, so I wondered if it might have been him. He cooks some pretty crazy stuff, but apparantly people "up there" (New York) seem to enjoy it. I say "up there", because we're all from Jacksonville, FL, and he comes from a pretty traditional family as far as cooking goes. But as you can imagine we're all pretty excited about it and very proud of him. Anyway, if you get a chance, check it out! I'm sure there will be plenty of food that NONE of us have or know what to do with on there.....=)

Rachel said...

I have no idea who the contestant was- sorry! It was someone who toured with the Other White Meat tour in '08...